Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Jinxes (is that the plural of jinx?)

I was raised to believe in jinxes (I am going with that as the plural form). More specifically, jinxes involving sports teams. My dad used to tell us that we were "jinxing them" when we would change the channel during commercials of an Alabama game, or when one TV was on at the beginning of the game, and we left the room and turned it off. Those were all circumstances that might "jinx" the Crimson Tide, thereform causing them to lose the game.

And this weekend, I think I jinxed them. All season, I have worn one of my Alabama t-shirts on game day...and we all know we were winning every game. This weekend, I didnt wear my shirt...and we lost. It was my fault. I am still not ready to come to terms with the fact that we arent #1 anymore, and it was most likely my fault. Ugh.

On to a few lighter topics, this weekend was a definite movie marathon weekend. I already said that I went to see The Social Network (and you should too!), but Monday I went with a friend to see It's Kind of a Funny Story. And it really is just that. Very much reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine, and it wasnt at all what I had expected, but it was a pretty good movie! Funny, yet serious. And totally laughs in the face of If You Really Knew Me (MTV show that I love to hate). I feel like it basically taught you that you DONT have it that bad after all (usually), and that you are not the ONLY one to have ever felt depressed or stressed or whatever.

AJ and I went last night to see Waiting for Superman, a movie about public schools. It was sad. It made me relieved that I was one of the few people to actually graduate from an Alabama public school with good reading and math scores (seriously, the stats scare you). And, what I took from it was that the people who are trying to reform the schools cant because of the Teachers' Union. Whether that is right or not, that is what I learned from the movie, so I am going with it. It also made me realize that parents shouldnt take their children to the "lotteries" that are held to get into Magnet Schools, or "better" schools than they are zoned for. The kids are totally stressed out about it and dont need to know what is going on. Just tell them when you get home IF they make it in!

I will talk TV later. I am too busy watching Guiliana and Bill right now.

2 comments:

  1. What's new with Guiliana and Bill? I didn't know they were on for another season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the movie you watched, but for what I do know, the scores would be a lot better if the parents cared. The kids that apply for the magnet schools have parents that care about their education (for the most part), obviously because they wanted them in a "better" school. And those schools have in the upper 90% on test scores. The non-magnet schools have most of the non-caring about education parents (and yes, I have parents that have admitted somewhat to that) and therefore produce the kids that don't care if they learn or not. So test scores are lowered at those schools. Of course then you have the schools that illegally "teach to the test" without calling it that and they will do better. Test scores mean jack crap as far as comparing them to who has good teachers. It's the parents that are sorry, therefore, producing sorry kids. Again, I don't know what that movie said, so this could be going totally away from what it was, but that's my opinion anyways!!

    ReplyDelete