Friday, July 2, 2010

The Great Outdoors??

It is no surprise to anyone that I am not really a fan of outdoor activities. That doesnt mean that I dont LOVE to be outside in the sun all day long, every chance I get. I just dont really do activities that typical "outdoor people" like to do. To me, this entails the following: bike riding, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, camping, fishing, skiing, etc. I just dont like to do any of those things.
Mainly because I am a PASSIVE outdoor person (I did just make up that term and I really like it).

Definition of PASSIVE Outdoor People: persons who like to be outside, as long as they are not required to do anything but sit and bask in the sunshine.

Therefore, these are activities that I LOVE to do outside:
1) sitting on the Beach
2) attend Baseball games! (or other sporting events where I am merely a spectator)
3) Go on a boat ride or short dinner cruise
4) walk around and window shop (has to be a good temperature or walking can be a negative!)

Maybe that sounds lazy to you, but deal with it. I am who I am.

That being said, we spent AJs last day of summer outside doing what we love: sitting on the beach.





After a few hours on the beach, we headed home. It was such a nice day, we wanted to do something else outside to make the most out of AJs last day of vacay. Somehow, even though we had one not-so-great canoeing experience several years ago, we decided to go and rent a canoe and take it out on the Charles River. Why? I have no idea. But we did. (I made AJ promise that I wouldnt have to do any paddling unless I chose to, and he agreed. hahaha) So, we headed out...and scarily enough they let anyone rent canoes with little to NO instruction. End of story: I didnt really have to paddle (thank you AJ!), we didnt capsize, and I only freaked out a few times when I thought we were too far away from the sides (my thinking was that if we didnt get too far from the sides that if worse came to worse I could swim to safety). It was successful, and Passive Outdoor Activity approved (if you have someone willing to paddle for you).






And now AJ is officially working at MGH, and I am officially THINKING about starting my job hunt. :)

AJ on his first day:

1 comment:

  1. ha ha I feel the exact same way about the outdoors. I've watched too much AFV to feel safe in a canoe, glad it all worked out for you.
    Good luck to AJ and good luck on your job hunt.

    ReplyDelete